In India, Biryani is not just a food but a religion. It is considered to be the dish of Nizam (Ruler of the state of Deccan). South India has more varieties of biryani than any other part of the subcontinent.Hyderabadi biryani originated as a blend of Mughlai and Iranian cuisine in the kitchens of the Nizam, rulers of the historic Hyderabad state.
Today is a Cheat day so I would be sharing an easy recipe of Hyderabadi dum Biryani which is also called Kaccha gosht biryani because of uncooked chicken/mutton. We’ll just marinate the chicken for 2-3 hours and directions cook it under the layers of Rice through steam. I became a huge fan of Biryani the day I visited Hyderabad. I stayed there for 3 days and I had biryani in every meal of the day. So Let’s get started!!!
SERVING: 4 PREPARATION TIME: 90 mins
Long grain rice – 250 gm
Curd – 400 gm
Chicken – 600 gm
Chopped onions – 4
Green chilis – 6
Chopped coriander leaves – full bowl
Chopped mint leaves – half bowl
Ginger garlic paste – 1.5 tsp
Shahi biryani masala – 3 tsp
Mutton masala powder – 1 tsp
Red chili powder – 1 tsp
Turmeric – 1/2 tsp
Green cardamom – 8
black cardamom – 6
Cinnamon stick – 2 inch
Cloves – 8
Salt to taste
Cooking oil to deep fry onions
Clarified butter – 4 tbsp
Food color (orange) – 2 tbsp
Saffron soaked in 2 tbsp of milk
- Add curd, biryani Masala, ginger garlic paste, mutton masala, green chilies, turmeric powder, red chili powder, 4 green cardamoms, 3 black cardamoms,1-inch cinnamon stick, 4 cloves, 1/2 bowl of coriander leaves, 1/4 bowl of mint leaves into the chicken.
- Mix it properly and keep it in the refrigerator for 2-3 hours.
Onion Fry Process
Heat cooking oil in a pan, fry onions till they turn golden brown. Take out the onions on the tissue so that the extra oil get absorbed.
- Heat the pan, add 2.5 LTR. of water and let it come to boil.
- Add washed rice with the remaining cardamoms, cloves and cinnamon stick and cover the pan.
- When it starts boiling, check it. Once it is 50-60% cooked, turn off the flame and strain the extra water and remove the whole spices.
Biryani Layer Preparation
- Take a deep and thick pan. Add entire marinated chicken as the base layer.
- Add some fried onions, sprinkle some coriander and mint leaves and 1 tbsp of clarified butter and then add half of the rice on it and spread evenly.
- Add the remaining fried onions, coriander, mint leaves, 1 tbsp ghee and rice as the second layer.
- Add food color on one part of rice and saffron milk on the remaining part and add 1 tbsp of clarified butter(ghee) on the top of it and cover the pan.
- Seal the pan cover edges with a dough of wheat so that steam does not come out.
- Turn on the flame, reduce it to medium then put the sealed pan on it.
- Cook it for 20 mins on medium low flame and then reduce the flame to low and cook for 15 mins on it.
- Now, heat a flat pan (tawa) and transfer the Biryani pan on it. Cook it on a flat pan for 15 mins (first 7 minutes on medium flame and rest 8 minutes on low flame).
- Turn off the flame, let it cool down a bit.
Your restaurant style biryani is ready. Serve it with Raita or Mirchi Saalan.
Happy Hogging 🙂